CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rehab..

My dad is making tremendous progress, but I don't think I'm doing so well.

I'm scared for him, I don't know whats going to happen in the next few months or how he'll be able to adjust to things. But atleast he's off of his ventilator, and breathing on his own.

Yesterday the nurse told me he was so stable, that they can take his heart monitor out. Thats great news! So not only is he breathing, and talking, but he is over his pneumonia, and hasn't had any heart problems. His blood pressure is doing well, and now they're working on getting him to swallow without aspirating, because they want to make sure he doesn't get pneumonia again.

Today I went to visit him, he sat up, and we talked and visited. The nurses bug him a lot, theres always someone coming into his room to check on something, be it his temperature, his lungs, or his blood pressure. The nurses are all really nice, they want to see him get better as much as I do.

I brought him a little word game to play, it has a touch screen, but I didn't realize that his tremors are getting worse, so if he hits a button once, his hand shakes so much he hits it about 20 times, so I think he may get frustrated with it, I'll pick up a black jack game for him, thats easy and entertaining.

I just got a phone call that they moved him from the hospital, to the physical rehabillitation center. Thats great news! I feel like things are moving a little too fast though, they just told me this morning they were going to discharge him later in the week, and now its the end of the day and he's already been moved. I'm proud of his progress, but I need more time to consider things and let them settle in my brain before we make a big change like that again.

I'm now looking into assisted living, for when he finishes rehab, I know he will be able to walk but I think my dad really needs someone to continue to take care of him even if its just for his mental stability. My gramma always loved the girls that came to help her at home, it brightened up her day even if she didn't need them to do anything for her. I understand its really expensive at some places, but it would definitely be worth it, and I think his medical insurance should cover some of the costs. I don't know still, I need to make time to go and check a few places out.

Thats pretty much it for now, I'm excited to see my dad get better, it was nice talking to him as grown ups and being able to help him out a little today. I hope he's able to live his life with some happines and light in it from now on, I'll take better care of him than my brother ever did, he seems to be pretty cold hearted about our dad now. But I'm not holding any grudges, and I'm not judging him anymore, we've got many things to look forward to together, and I hope my brother can get over his dueche baggery quickly so he can share this time with us.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

THat's great news, Lisa!

Hopefully your brother will come around. :)

Stacey said...

I'm so glad your dad is doing better! I hope you brother will stop being a pain!

Mrs.AliciaK said...

Yea. I am so happy for your & your Dad. I know he is so grateful that you have been able to move past the past. LOL, that sounds weird.

Anyway..You know I;m here for ya :)

alie said...

thats awesome news pro!